Filipino Beef Stir-Fry
2 (1/2 pound) New York strip steaks, sliced into thin strips
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons white sugar
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 sweet onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 pound snow peas
3/4 cup green peas
1 carrot, sliced
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into chunks
1/4 cup oil for deep frying
- Place the sliced steak in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle the cornstarch over the beef slices and mix to coat.
- Whisk the soy sauce and sugar together in a small bowl until the sugar dissolves; pour over the beef slices.
- Mix and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat; cook and stir the onion and garlic in the hot oil until tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir the oyster sauce into the onion and garlic; season with salt and pepper.
- Add the snow peas, green peas, carrot, celery, and red bell pepper; cook and stir until the vegetables are slightly tender, yet still crisp, 7 to 10 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a separate skillet.
- Remove the beef from the marinade, shaking off any excess moisture; discard the marinade.
- Fry the beef slices in the hot oil to your desired degree of doneness, 3 to 5 minutes per side for medium.
- Add the cooked beef to the vegetable mixture and mix well. Serve hot.